Workshop #3 Writing about Dance (on Body and Mobility)
The project Dance and Performing Arts Criticism in Europe, a collaboration of Czech Dance News and Performing Arts Hub Norway, organizes a three-day seminar for emerging European dance critics and writers during KoresponDance Festival in the Czech Republic.
Before the pandemic, dancers and dance writers were constantly on the move, touring or attending festivals and performances. After two years of immobility and zoom gatherings: how have these restrictions influenced how we move today and how society values and interprets mobility?
When: 16th - 18th July 2022
Venue: Festival KoresponDance, Castle Žďár nad Sázavou, Czech Republic
In the workshop Write/Move, we will explore and discuss mobility through writing and how writing is a trace of motion. The workshop will investigate the writing and the dancing body as well as the sites and spaces these bodies move within. Along with individual and collective writing tasks the participants will be sharing their respective practices of dance writing.
The seminar is for free and open to everybody, previous experience with writing about dance is not required. The language of the seminar is English.
Coaches and lecturers: Anette Therese Pettersen, Hild Borchgreving, both experienced dance and theater critics of Norwegian dance scene.
What you get:
- Free coaching seminar from professional dance critics
- Participants will enjoy lectures by experienced dance writers, coaching and discussions about the seen performances, will practice review writing and the practice of dance criticism in general.
- Acknowledgement of participation
- Published reviews (guarantee 100 EUR per published text)
- Access to selected performances presented on KoresponDance Festival in Žďár nad Sázavou in the Czech Republic - www.korespondance.cz/en/
- Transport contribution (460 EUR per participant arriving outside of the Czech Republic)
Friday 15th July - 4PM - registration, meeting with the lectures
Saturday 16th July - 10 - 13 - Writing workshop
Sunday 17th July - 10 - 13 - Writing workshop
Monday 18th July - 10 - 13 - Writing workshop
Application deadline: 30th May 2022
To apply: Please send cv and a motivation letter/application where you describe your background, writing practice and reflect about your relation to dance via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have any questions feel free to contact us.
You will be informed about the results by 15th June 2022.